This year is the 25th Anniversary of the Mountains Branch Library. Except for the small and inadequate student library located in the Lake Lure School, there was no library in the community during the early days of the town’s existence. In 1938, the county library system provided a book mobile to serve the area with a stop at a predetermined location for a short while once each week. Residents who could be there at the right time were able to check out books from the limited choices on the truck or they could request a certain book to be brought the next week.
In 1988 Mr. Fred Wise, general manager of Fairfield Mountains Resort, began to work toward securing a library for the area. He hired two ladies to plan and set up a library. Kitty Marchesoni took the lead in securing donated books from the county and municipal libraries. She learned how to set up a local library. With the help of a retired librarian, Mrs. Dorothy Dunlap, the donated book collection was processed and organized. On October 25, 1988 Open House was held for the new library located in a double-wide trailer on Buffalo Creek Road. Bookshelves had been built by local carpenters and several volunteers shared time in manning the facility for 25 hours each week.
Trustees of the Fairfield Mountains library petitioned the County Library Board in 1989 to take over the Mountains Library as a branch of the county library system. When the property on which the double-wide was located sold in 1990, it became imperative that a new home for the library be found. The Town of Lake Lure and Rutherford County jointly rented three small buildings. Approximately 1500 volumes were moved into these temporary headquarters and the library reopened for business January 2, 1990.
Construction began on a modern library building for the Mountains Branch Library in the spring of 1994. In the summer of 1995, the library collection was moved into the new facility and it opened to the public on October 2. The new 6,185 sq. ft. library with a meeting room was staffed by Mrs. Melanie Greenway as head librarian assisted by 35 local volunteers. The Mountains Branch Library is located at 150 Bill’s Creek Road and operates from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm weekdays and Saturday 10:00 to 12:00. This is one of the “crown jewels” of the Lake Lure Community.
Download a short history of Lake Lure and the Mountains Branch Library HERE